Baby Mingli

So our baby is here!  Baby Mingli was born exactly two weeks ago, and we are so happy he is here and healthy.  The birth was a little difficult, but everything turned out ok.

On the 7th, a Sunday, I started having contractions that were strong enough that I couldn’t sleep, so Kaanas and I were up all night.  I got a little bit of a break on Monday, but the contractions started back up and Kaanas and I were again up all night, and all night Tuesday.  Finally very early Wednesday morning I was dilated enough to be admitted into the hospital.  I had been planning a natural birth, but by this time I was so exhausted, and honestly it was hurting a lot more than I had expected.  I had thought I was prepared, but I wasn’t.  I got an epidural shortly after getting to the hospital, and it was so nice to be able to sleep.  It was also nice for Kaanas because he hates hospitals, so after he was sure I was ok he was able to leave for about half an hour to get breakfast, something he would not have done if I hadn’t gotten the epidural and was still hurting.  I think next time I might try again for a natural birth, but this time I think this was the best decision for us.

When it came time to push I did have a little bit of trouble at first because I couldn’t feel anything, but my epidural was running out, so I started getting feeling back and it made it easier to push.  I was a little scared at first when I realized I was getting feeling back, but I had gotten the epidural because I was exhausted and discouraged (things had just seemed to be taking so long and it felt like it was never going to end), but now I had slept for a while and I knew I was getting close to the end, so the pain was easier to handle.  And it turned out it was good that I was able to push better, because Mingli started having trouble.  His heartbeat went up, the nurses said he was tachycardic, and then when I would push his heartbeat would disappear completely.  They tried having me lay on my side with an oxygen mask, but it wasn’t helping, so they had to use a vacuum to get him out.  The vacuum hurt, a lot, but I just kept thinking that Mingli needed to get out, that he was in trouble.  As long as I focused on that, focused on him, I was able to handle it.

When he came out and was put on my stomach it was the most amazing feeling ever.  I couldn’t believe he was here, that I had actually managed to carry and give birth to a baby.  It turns out he had a knot in his cord and it had been wrapped around his neck, which was what was causing the trouble with his heartbeat.  The doctor said that if the cord and tightened Mingli would have died.  That still scares me to even think about.  They had put Mingli right on my stomach, but he breathing was not good, it was almost like he was hyperventilating, so they had to take him to a table in a corner of the room until his breathing was better.  After a couple of minutes he was given back, and I was so glad he was ok.

Now Mingli is two weeks old and I can’t believe how fast he is growing.  I love him so much, and all I ever want to do is hold him.  He is such a sweet, wonderful baby.  I love when he smiles and makes little noises.  All I want is for him to be happy and safe.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: